Sunday, April 8, 2012

South Africa and beyond!

This week, I began a new journey with the All School Chorus class!  Now that we are back from break, it is time to find something new to do.  The students have finished their project on a composer/artist, the music we have been singing is getting a bit pedantic, so it is time for a change!  For starters, I asked the students to submit titles of pieces they would want to sing that I will be considering to pick a new song.  Then I asked them what they wanted to do to make the class more enjoyable for them, not to say that it was heretofore unenjoyable.  The immediate response was they wanted to perform!  This ensemble, per the curriculum, is not a performing ensemble, but knowing that, they feel unmotivated.  Thus I decided to see if we could work out a performing opportunity for them.  It is still in the works, but they will most likely be on the schedule to perform in the Spring Concert which got them excited to work harder!

Then I tried to think of something that would be a change of pace and offer some exciting new musical experience.  The result?  A South African song!  In the past, I have worked with a couple of visiting artists at Westminster on South African music and performance and have come to really enjoy studying and performing it, and the students I have introduced to it have also enjoyed the different type of music!

I started by just playing an example of a South African song for them.  Immediately their interest was piqued.  The next day, we did a Know-Want to Know-Learned type of lesson to discover what the students already know about South Africa -- the culture, music, life, geography, etc. -- what they want to know, and by the end of the unit we will discuss what we learned.  Then I played more examples of South African music for them.  Their assignment for the weekend is to find out three things: 1) what kind of instruments, if any, are used in South African music, 2) what kind of movement or dance, if any, is used, and 3) how the music of South Africa similar or different compared to the music we listen to today?  Starting on Monday, we are going to sharing this information and learning a South African song I have learned and taught before, Ke Nale Monna.  I am extremely excited about this experience because the song has great meaning, is fun and offers the chance for them to encounter a different type of music that also incorporates dance!!  Yay for being interdisciplinary! :)  It offers another level of intrigue because I have to teach the song by rote, something I have done successfully in the past, but with college students.  I am excited to see how it goes with this group!  I will of course post updates along the way of how this unit/journey plays out!

For now, here is a Youtube clip of the song we are going to learn.  Though this quartet does not have the dance, the singing is the best quality available.  Hope you enjoy!  Feel free to skip to 29 seconds, where the song actually starts! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCkP14NVWCo&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment